Thursday, September 9

another day, another job interview

Three weeks back in the country, and I'm already into my job search, though not yet desperately. Through the AACI's Jobnet site, I found a list of the sponsor companies, many of which are HR/placement companies, and sent my resume to about 40 of them. Got only one response, from a seasoned veteran of the business with a lot of big-company contacts. When you don't get responses from 99% of the people you cold-email, you really appreciate that one who doesn't ignore you. I went to visit her in Kfar Saba, a short drive away, and was much heartened by her encouragement. She doesn't think my CV sucks as bad as I'd thought. It's full of dot.com years' jumping around from one doomed startup to another ... even after deleting 4 of my shortest or most loathed stints.

Ah, the dot.com bubble. How sweet it was, to have ripe jobs falling off the Silicon Wadi trees into my lap, each one paying more than the one before. I even had a company car for about 4 months there. Fat city. But it ended in 2001, and for over a year I couldn't get hired to do anything but teach English. That's when I pulled up stakes and moved back to Toronto, my hometown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home