Thursday, January 27

dream analysis

Have now survived four weeks of wage slavery.

That phrase is no joke to me, and it is beyond me why I chafe at the working life so much more loudly than most. I know the majority are not particularly enamored of their jobs or of needing to work, but they don't bitch about it constantly the way I do. Is this just my inflated, narcissistic sense of entitlement -- my inner paris-hilton, as it were -- or am I actually one of a breed of human that is just not built for the working world? And is there a difference?

With this in mind, I was pondering my nasty dream of the other night (see today's previous post) and was disturbed to interpret it as: I feel I'm neglecting my daughter to the point where she's "falling into a hole" where I will no longer be able to reach her. (I didn't say this earlier, but in the dream, she was following along behind me and I was urging her to come along and catch up, when she slipped backward.)

Then I remembered how my therapist might have interpreted it. She always asked two questions when I recounted my dreams: 1) What was the outstanding emotional content? and 2) What part of YOU might be represented by your daughter in the dream? i.e. What part of YOU might be "slipping backward and falling into a hole (with a "bike")?

The answer to (1) is that the emotional content was first impatient, and then frantic at the loss, followed by tragic grief. As for (2), I must answer that my daughter in the dream could represent my youth, my energy, my free spirit ... which is falling irretrievably into the "hole" of a meaningless job.

The job is meaningless for me because money is basically meaningless to me, despite the fact that one needs it to pay for things. It bothers me that working itself costs at least half of whatever I make, what with the real price of travel, eating lunch, frequently buying dinner because there's no energy to prepare food, extra wardrobe, etc., plus all the things that you can't put a price on: the many activities of your day that you can no longer do except rarely, the people you haven't got time to see, the family you have no energy for, and so on. And then, the fact that I have more money in my pocket than I used to means I tend to be more wasteful where I used to be more economical. More impulsive and whimsical purchases ... to ease the pain, I suppose.

But the impatience -- it was there before she fell backwards -- it is mixed up with the feeling of meaninglessness. I do have a tendency to impatiently demand to be shown the meaning of everything. Unfortunately, a new job reveals its meaning over a long period of time, not in the first month. Oh, a little has been doled out in this first month, but not much, and I'm impatient for the sense of meaning, because I can't bear that it's all about the money and only about the money. I am willing to suffer for meaning, but not for money. But so many people truly believe the money IS the meaning. I just can't accept that; it has simply got to be more than that.

So on a day like today, when I had nothing to do by which I could "prove my worth," and I had no one to eat lunch with and felt sorry for myself that I had to get stuck with two religious (albeit very nice) colleagues that don't go out, and I was tired and headachey and desperately want to be out in the fresh air instead of stuck in a stale office ... well, it was just one of those days when meaning is not very obvious and what's needed is faith that I'm doing what I need to be doing, and everything is actually fine even if it's not comfortable.

But it still feels like a deep hole that I need to find a way out of.

4 Comments:

At 28/1/05 06:47, Blogger sirbarrett said...

Sounds like you have a bit of nausea for the world right now. It happens. Could it be routine? Just a mood? Maybe you really crave something else right now and if you had it you'd be able to file away a chapter of doing something knowing whether it will worked or not. I don't want to presume anything about you or your situation but I always waver between feeling satisfied and feeling that maybe it's all just a nutcase game that I'd rather someone else play for me because, am I really going to get any farther ahead? So, I just felt like I can relate. But don't worry. If you're thinking about money then that's why doing things for the sake of doing them isn't satisfying because you feel that you're wasting time which is money. If you have financial pressure, be sure to organize it at a pace that you can realistically expect yourself to do it in. Set small goals, and enjoy yourself for achieving the little things that you do have the choice to do during the day, regardless of your 'responsibilities'. Maybe if you called your friend in the off 2 minutes, it'll change the direction of things, not that they'll suddenly be your saviour, but you might feel less like you're going down the hole.

I enjoyed hearing your dreams btw. I had a really strange one last night where I opened a book and sand kept falling out. I was making a complete mess. What does that say about my life? Well, maybe I need to file.

PS-Sorry this comment is so long. It took over me.

 
At 28/1/05 11:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment, BC. "Nausea with the world" is pretty much Squarepeg's baseline. (Otherwise, I'd probably be "Roundpeg".) As for your dream, ask yourself: "what associations do I have with books?" and "what does 'sand' mean for me?" Nobody can interpret your dreams without knowing what the symbols mean for YOU, but once you provide that information, others can sometimes help you put it together with circumstances of your life (which you might be ignoring).

 
At 29/1/05 03:19, Blogger Lioness said...

*determinedly holding a basin*

Ah, if ennui could talk, than at least I'd have an interlocutor for most of my waking moments... I think it's a good thing I don't have the suicide gene or whatever it may be bcs i sometimes wonder why exactly I still haven't thrown myself in the river. I am more likely, however, to drown many of my professors in a very painful matter. Actually, I am more likely to just grind my teeth and keep doing it, and seek comfort from books and friends (little redundancy here), including the bloggers I never met, and take Depression Screening Tests online and realise - maybe I told u this already? if so, sorry, am still a bit beside myself - i score within the moderately to severely depressed, and worse than that only the plain severely category. Aaaahhh. And it's not all bcs of U., it's mostly vet school and I know it (i do have this nagging feeling I told u all this already!), so i have to be miserable for 3 more years to finally be allowed to do what will make me happy. Also, i am actually typing this for everyone to see, a coming out if there was one since I always viewed depression as a weakness, go figure. So everyone's growing all around eh? IT BLOODY SUCKS ROCK MAJORLY is all i have to say. Big big smooch.

 
At 29/1/05 03:21, Blogger Lioness said...

Also, do YOU have the word interlocutor at all??? And, I did consider it seriously, it sometimes makes me physically cramp up when I see my blog now. I truly am sick of it but starting a new one, what would that change? It's reality I hate right now and that's going w me wherever I go. So lucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home