Monday, March 21

tiyul shnati, kita zion

Annual trip, grade seven.

It's 6am, and I'm up and I'm actually pleased. How is this possible? Well, it started with my 5am alarm, gently awakening me from an uneasy slumber in order to get young ms. squarepeg out the door by 5:55 to get to school to meet the bus taking her class on its annual trip.

And now we have two days of quiet. WOOOHOO!!

Except for the phone calls, of course, which I expect to punctuate each hour, as it has mostly been since we got her a cell phone at the beginning of the school year. All the kids have them by this age; I doubt there's a single kid in her class without a cell. It's just assumed these days, for younger and younger kids.

She's got a phobia about motion sickness, having thrown up on more than one bus trip in the past, and demanded that we get her some gravol or something for it. I was unwilling to give her the drug, as I tried it on her a couple of years ago and it made her very sleepy, but fortunately mr. s. was able to find a homeopathic remedy (from Boiron) at the drugstore, and even if it's a placebo, that's perfect.

The packing was accompanied by the usual shouting and hysteria ("TWO FULL BOTTLES OF shower gel?!!! Are you nuts???? And put that stuff in a plastic bag before it spills all over your clothes!!") Kids at this age are very stubborn, but ms. squarepeg has always been stubborn, so you'd think I'd be used to it. Well, once or twice I did bite my tongue and walk away rather than continue the argument, so maybe I am learning.

ooops! first phone call received now, right on the hour, as predicted. It's 7am and they still haven't left. But they'll soon be starting out and heading up to Tsfat, and the Golan, and I don't know where else, but I do hope she can appreciate the beauty of the country she's going to see in the next two days. The weather is absolutely perfect for a tiyul shnati.

It should be easy to get to work early today.

4 Comments:

At 23/3/05 04:29, Blogger Lioness said...

Lisa, you think? The trip actually sounds lovely. Wireless mothering not so bad either. ;)

 
At 23/3/05 08:06, Blogger squarepeg said...

After all that (plus half-filling little bottles with shampoo and conditioner), she decided not to take the shower she was so insistent she couldn't do without (though at home she showers maybe once a week). For two days, I got phone calls about how excited she was about their stop at a McD's, their great room at the kibbutz, how she fought with one of her friends over the use of her gameboy, how she hates nature, and how many times she fell and scratched her legs on rocks.

"So how was the trip?"
"Good."
"So where did you go? What did you see?"
"I dunno. I forget."

And today we're on to the hysteria of Purim costumes that demand glued-on nails.

 
At 23/3/05 22:53, Blogger B2 said...

My wife and I always imagined that when olim get off the plan in Ben-Gurion they are greeted with "Welcome to Israel; here's your pelephone."

 
At 24/3/05 15:07, Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Wireless mothering doesn't hold a candle to Internet mothering! Grandmothering is a different story altogether though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home