Tuesday, September 27

two cats, no waiting

Okay, my more worldly-wise readers could certainly see this coming ... No, baby cat did NOT go back to the vet at the end of the weekend.

Baby cat, in fact, is now the youngest member of our household and will from now on be known by her nickname, Pinky (officially, ms. squarepeg says, "Lady Pinky the First").

Sunny, the 16-year-old Siamese, is now home but it's hard to tell how well he is. He seems the same as he used to when I thought he wasn't sick. Funny how I never noticed it before: it really seems like he got a whole lot bigger and fatter in 3 days!! Pinky fits in the palm of my hand, while Sunny is as big as a mountain and weighs two tons. Before Pinky came into our lives, Sunny's age, his slowness, his relative apathy had never really registered ... it happened slowly over many years, I suppose, and it was just him. Now the contrast is stunning.

So we almost didn't keep Pinky. Believe me, it was a really close call. I was all set to take her back, and we'd convinced ms. squarepeg too, that this was NOT going to be "the little sister she'd always wanted." She was keeping her promise not to try and keep the kitten past the weekend, and had gone to school believing she wasn't going to see Pinky again, and was being strong about it. That morning, the vet called to say she'd done another blood test on Sunny and his amylase count was down to normal so I could come and pick him up. I said great, and that I was going to be bringing the kitten back. The vet was disappointed, saying she'd been happy they'd found the kitten a home. I said we really did love her, but Sunny's welfare was the priority and it would be hard to keep them apart in our small apartment. I hung up the phone and then started cuddling Pinky again and gave her to Mr. Squarepeg and asked him, "Are you sure you don't want to keep her?" I could see it was going to be hard for him to go back to life without this cuddly cute furball. What a softie that guy is! He looked very doubtful, thinking about the trouble it would be, but then surprised me. "I guess we could keep her in the office [our computer room] with the door closed for a week." Wow. This was big.

Ever since, he's been like the kindergarten teacher/nurse, feeding, wiping up, playing, cleaning up shit and vomit, more feeding, more playing, finding a new box, and on and on. Having a new baby in the house is not a simple matter! Meanwhile, I'm at work and he's got most of the responsibility all day. I'm very proud of my Mr. Squarepeg right now.

1 Comments:

At 28/9/05 01:02, Blogger Lucy said...

I've never been able to give up an animal either. Good for you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home