Thursday, October 14

24-hr virus

Ironic that the night of my long food-related posting, I started getting bad "indigestion". About 5am I awoke with unusual gas pains that just wouldn't move, no matter how hard I tried. By 7am it was world-class diarrhea, like an upside-down volcano, and I was racking my brain to figure out which of the things I'd eaten the day before must have brought this on. The only thing I was really suspicious of was some ice cream I'd just bought, because it was a little too soft and I'd wondered if it was stored at the correct temperature. My stomach was sore for hours, I was weak, and I had no appetite, and by afternoon I was feeling the body ache characteristic of flu as well. I took a hot bath and felt better, but later the ache returned and I went to bed early. When Mr. Squarepeg enjoyed both my cannelloni and the same ice cream with no ill effects, I decided it really must have been a 24-hr bug rather than something I ate.

And today I'm fine again, not to mention lighter! I'm managing to get to the gym 3 times a week and, together with my little virus, I've dropped 2 kilos in the last 10 days. It's nice to be able to do up my pants without a struggle. This morning I went for an interview for a temporary office job that a friend had put me on to. It's a small office that needs a receptionist/office manager/English letter-writer and I told the South African owner that I would help him out temporarily for 40 shekels an hour (about C$9/US$8), much more than he wanted to pay. I was feeling pretty sure of myself, and told him I am used to being paid double that, but I realized that it was a different kind of job; also, that he'd pay much more if he went to a temp. agency. I added that it would encourage him to find someone permanent as well, to which he agreed! He was nice, and told me he'd talk to his partner and let me know tomorrow. If they offer me 35/hr. I'll go for it too; it's just 5-6 hrs. a day, near home, very convenient. I'd be crazy not to take the opportunity.

1 Comments:

At 15/10/04 04:29, Blogger Lioness said...

Sorry about bug, congrats on the 2 kg lost, good luck for job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home