Monday, March 28

a day in the big orange

I used to live in Tel Aviv. Across the street from my mother-in-law.

I nagged, cajoled and whined until Mr. S agreed to buy an apartment in Raanana. I thought, "That's where all the anglos are; I'll be able to make friends who are like me." (Never did the thought enter my head, "I won't have to feel my mother-in-law's penetrating disapproval from across the street anymore.")

Ten years later, suburbia is a major yawn. I still don't have any friends, and I miss the action of "the big orange" and being so close to the sea. And, strangely enough, I've grown quite fond of my in-laws, and wouldn't mind being closer by.

But the quiet tree-lined streets of the outer limits have a certain sterile charm, I suppose, and Tel Aviv is just a 20-30 minute drive away, after all.

Trouble is, I almost never get to the city except on shabat (Saturday), when it's very quiet and most businesses are closed and it feels almost like a ghost town. So today was a special treat: My boss sent my colleague and me off to do some lame refresher seminar for tech writers, and it was held in a little hotel on a side street in view of the beach. Instead of working, I got to take a trip into the city on a gorgeous sunny day, drive right onto the beach road and take in the glorious expanse of blue Med first thing in the morning. It's a sight that always fills me with oxygen.

The seminar was a snore, a waste of my company's money, frankly, but who cares? I was loving the big TA on a bustling weekday, with all its noisy, fast-moving self-importance.

I'm just a city girl at heart.

3 Comments:

At 31/3/05 04:53, Blogger sirbarrett said...

you can take the girl out of the TV but you can't...
It's never too late to go back is it? Maybe not right away, but you should go where your mind is, or at least talk it over with Mr. S. I thought I'd never go back to where I came from, but where am I going soon? Right back. I don't know. I guess sometimes you just surprise yourself.

 
At 2/4/05 22:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, that's so sad. I moved from TA (after 4 years) to Ra'anana in 1997, and while I miss the city, too, and love going in, I'm really happy now and finding friends hasn't been a problem.

Wanna have coffee?

Allison (An Unsealed Room)

 
At 2/4/05 23:52, Blogger squarepeg said...

well, bc, it's a lot easier to do those switcheroos when one is unencumbered...

a: sad? nah, just petty squarepeg whining, really. the friends thing is an inner flaw that coffee won't cure, but i may take you up on your kind invitation anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home