Sunday, October 17

and the "24-hr. virus" drags on ...

Spending more time in the loo has kept me somewhat out of the loop this past week. Although I felt fine on Thursday, the diarrhea and weak stomach were back on Friday and continued through yesterday, along with very low energy. Today I'm feeling better again, though the diarrhea persists. I've never experienced this pattern of symptoms before, so I'm quite curious to know what's going on, and hopeful that it's winding up. At least the rest of the family is fine -- better me than them, since when they're sick I suffer anyway.

The temp. job I went to see about last week didn't work out. He called me the next morning and told me he's "had a bit of luck and found someone permanent." I didn't believe it, since he hadn't had time to do that, and seemed pretty desperate for help when he interviewed me. I figure that the rate I asked for was double what he was willing to pay, so low that he was embarrassed to suggest it. It was a surprise. I was prepared for him calling and offering me less, but not for no offer whatsoever. It would have been fine, though (since I didn't really want that job anyway), if Mr. S. hadn't criticized me for sounding too firm (in his opinion) on my rate. His view is beggars can't be choosers. Mine, however, is that I'm not there yet.

Meanwhile, I spent all Friday morning (about 4 hours) doing a "test edit" for another potential employer, which she sent me by email. I was not pleased to have to invest that many hours with no promise of return, but that seems to be the usual procedure in this country. (I never did any serious job interviews in Toronto.) I think the result I returned to her is a high standard, and if she agrees she'll probably give me some contract editing work. I've yet to hear back from her.

On the bright side, I've found a new hairdresser -- always a tough task in a new place -- and am enjoying my first haircut back in Israel. It's always a mistake for me to wait two months to get my hair cut, since I look older and older as the weeks go on, no matter how much I fuss with it. Drying, gelling, flatironing, more gelling, more flatironing. It's exhausting. I'm very pleased I found someone who a) is close to home, b) is not a primadonna, and c) cuts very well quickly. My last cutter in Toronto was lovely, but took forEVER. Reasonable price too, though not cheap. The big test will be the color job, which I'll definitely need in another month.

I'm hoping our shipment will finally be delivered this week. It's exactly two months today since the packers came to our house in Toronto and took our stuff away. It's already taken a couple of weeks longer than I thought it would, but I wasn't counting on the holidays and strikes slowing the process down. I need to go now and organize my storage room (downstairs in the building) a bit, to prepare for the onslaught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home