Wednesday, October 20

joys of motherhood

My 12-yr-old daughter is having a rough time re-adjusting to life in Israel. Being back with her father (Mr. S) is not sufficient to compensate for everything she left behind in Toronto: her best friend, her fun extended family, and a school curriculum that was more manageable, in a class that had fewer kids. Of course, all that school stuff might have changed this year, grade 7, anyway. But she was used to doing pretty well, for a change, and she's feeling very dejected now. Socially may be the worst of it. There are 40 kids in her class, and the only girls she's friendly with are the two relative outsiders from Argentina and Chile. She says she doesn't like anyone else, but the truth is that she thinks no one likes her. These things can take years, and at least months, to work out, but it's so painful to watch. Meanwhile, the test schedule says she'll be doing at least two a week, and every approaching test is an agonizing family affair. Today we sat with her while she reviewed her math concepts, because if we don't, she just blows it off and then comes home with a failing grade that she's ashamed to show us. The depths of frustration and panic masked with anger and hysteria are just mind-blowing. Why does this all look so very familiar? Oh yeah, it's like looking in the rear-view mirror of my life. Shudder.

I was at another job interview/test today, this one half an hour away, straight highway driving all the way. It's a good technical writing position in a big company. Would hate the commute, but would love the money, and maybe even score a car. Well, now I have to wait and see if they liked the test I did. It's been so long since anyone has hired me for a proper job, I can hardly imagine it working out. Even the emailed editing test I did all last Friday morning (at home) has garnered no response whatsoever from the woman who sent it to me. People are SO rude.

Actually, the people at the company I went to today were anything but rude; they were lovely -- exactly the opposite kind of treatment from the one I was at a couple of weeks ago. The two women who received me were very kind and gracious and checked on me repeatedly during my two hours there, making sure I had something to drink and giving me the passcard to get back in again after going to the washroom. The difference was stunning. Too bad it's so far from home, but I would be very happy if they hired me.

So would Mr. S, who wouldn't even mind driving me there and picking me up every day, if they don't offer me a car -- just so long as I bring home a salary already! Our shipment is finally to be delivered tomorrow morning, and they want another 2,000 shekels (about C$500)! I don't know how they figured this out, but we've already paid too much for this whole thing, as far as I'm concerned. One great thing though: We got away with paying nearly nothing (C$15) in customs duty on our stuff, because I managed to get ahold of the paperwork from two years ago proving that this was the same stuff coming back that was shipped from here then. That was a very lucky break, and I have to thank that shipping company, Globus -- which was far more efficient than the one I'm using this time -- for probably saving me at least $300 by finding that paperwork in their archives for me.

I've started taking tennis lessons again. A friend told me about this little group of Anglos (that means native English-speakers here) being taught by a French guy -- turns out he's 71! Looks his age, but very fit, very charming, and very French. A former champion, they tell me. He's a darling and is already improving my moves! It's twice a week for just 45 minutes, and a nice group of people. Perfect addition to my life, and just 5 min. drive from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home