Tuesday, October 26

some actual israeli content, for a change

Most of the time what I post is just personal happenings, whatever's going on in my mind, with very little comment on the Israeli Situation, since a) I'm not as in touch with it here in my little bubble-world of unemployment in Raanana, and b) it usually doesn't interest me as much as what's going on elsewhere. (Okay, there was that mobster-bombing down the street, but that's rare.)

So today is a special treat, because there are two matters I want to mention.

First, this evening brings the ninth anniversary of Rabin's assassination.

from Haaretz online: Rabin was assassinated by Jewish right-wing extremist Yigal Amir on November 4, 1995. Wednesday, the 12th day of the Hebrew month of Cheshvan, marks the Hebrew anniversary of his death.

I find it an interesting coincidence that also this evening the Knesset will finally vote on Sharon's proposal to withdraw from Gaza.

again from Haaretz online:
In his speech Monday, Sharon said the decision to pursue disengagement was the most difficult he had ever made, "in all my life as a fighter and commander, a politician, a Knesset member, a government minister and prime minister."

Sharon said Israel could not continue with the status quo. "We don't want to rule over millions of Palestinians, whose population is doubling every generation. Israel wishes to be a democracy and cannot do it. The disengagement is opening a gateway to another reality."

The prime minister told MKs that he knew what the Knesset decision would mean for those Israelis living in Gaza who had been sent in the name of the government to build homes there. "This is a fateful hour for Israel," he said. "We are on the threshold of a difficult decision, the likes of which we have seldom faced, and the significance of which for the future of our country in this region is consistent with the difficulty, pain and dispute it arouses within us."


This is especially significant because Sharon's moves are causing the exact same level of ire from the same (religious right) part of the population that Rabin's peace efforts angered, getting him killed. Nine years ago, such a situation with of all people Sharon drawing the fire for making unpopular sacrifices could never have been predicted. He is well known, after all, for being the housing minister that encouraged settlers to build in all kinds of disputed territories, against the wishes or expressed wisdom of [I believe] the majority. What a life.

And on a lighter note, I have fallen in love with a new bit of Israeli culture, a rare occurrence for me. It's a new tv show that last night aired only its second episode, called "Ahava Zeh Co'ev" -- literally 'love hurts' but which I'd prefer to translate as 'Love Sucks' (although on channel 10's website for the show, they call it "Love is Hard" ... I like mine better). I only got involved in this new dramedy because it stars the wonderful Dana Modan who I've seen before doing a different kind of late-night interview show that focussed on sex in the [israeli] city but also threw food into the mix (each guest brought a dish) along with one of her acerbic rants on what jerks men can be. I love her because she's smart and funny and not a model-beauty but fabulous all the same. So I came for Dana -- and she's worth it -- but the surprise is Assi Cohen and the chemistry these two have on screen. It's been a long time since I saw stuff that volcanic going on between two romantic leads. If you understand Hebrew, go to the website, click on "Video" and then choose "Perek 2" (episode 2) which starts right after Dana is crying her eyes out over the boyfriend that left her. Oren (Assi) comes to "apologize" for being a jerk after they slept together, but continues to irritate her, and she rips him a new one with something like, "If you were the last man on earth and we were on a desert island and we were naked in an elevator and I was horny as hell and no one would ever know, and there was a atomic explosion and the human race depended on us, I still wouldn't touch you." .... I burst out laughing every time I watch it. Finally something gets the juices going again. Thank you, Assi and Dana!

2 Comments:

At 29/10/04 01:51, Blogger Lioness said...

Between the two of you my homesickness level has been unduly raised. Not that I would fully understand the show. But given time, I would eventually. And that's the whole bloody point!

 
At 29/10/04 08:36, Blogger squarepeg said...

not that I understand fully either ... I had to played the clip several times and to get most of the meaning ... but the chemistry between these two is unmistakeable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home