Monday, November 1

relive elementary school, anyone?

aaarrrrgh! I'm doing grade 7 math for the second time, but this time from the mom point of view. It was so frustrating going through all that, each hard-won concept accompanied by screaming and tears, and here it is deja view all over again. My daughter may actually have a math learning disability, but she does eventually get it in the end. Until she gets it though -- my god, I need drugs to handle this cause the meditation just aint cuttin' it! Interesting how much better I am at all this than I was then, though, since I do remember it being every bit as hard for me when I was her age, and now I appear to be a genius????? In any case, there is one thing I was definitely right about: This stuff is absolutely no use in [my] real life: I was sure then that I'd never use the information learned, and I never did. On the other hand, no question that math is good for exercising the brain muscles and from that point of view, doing homework with the kid is [grudging admission] kind of fun.

I will be posting less this month as I'm trying the NaNoWriMo challenge, and my writing energies need to go there, but this is double birthday month. Mr. S is finally turning the corner to the big F-O -- I mean 4-0 -- and as for moi, well, I'll be coy ... but I've already passed that particular milestone.

Happy November!

2 Comments:

At 1/11/04 17:44, Blogger Lioness said...

I remember staring blankly at Chemistry-Physics exercices, not understanding what was required of me AT ALL, and taking a look at them the year after and not understanding what I'd found so difficult. So I developed this theory that my brain was not physiologically mature for it at the time I needed it to be. I was very premature w cognitive things, especially when it came to verball skills and such but exact sciences... Your kid seems to be pretty bright but I suppose the maths' neuropath is still a bit underdeveloped or something. I know mine is.

Good luck with the novel!

 
At 1/11/04 20:56, Blogger squarepeg said...

yes, very interesting -- the brain seems to be divided much like the stomach: y'know, one section for veg, one for bread & pasta, one for dessert; when it comes to computer software, unlike with the math, she's really a genius and seems to grok it instantaneously as if from another dimension.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home