Tuesday, March 28

what I did on my Election Day holiday

Woo-hoo! Mid-week holiday!!

I have a certain pride in Israel's attitude to democracy: It's considered so important to vote, that a whole holiday is mandated to make sure citizens will have no work-related excuse for not exercising their franchise.

I am proud of this attitude even though I'm not actually an Israeli and do not vote.

I never became a citizen. I've lived in Israel since the end of 1982, as a "permanent resident," and have periodically asked myself if I feel any need to officially become a citizen; the answer I always got back was, 'Nah.'

What would it mean to officially be Israeli? It would mean something on paper that in mentality, or psychologically, I am not. I live here, and consider it politically expedient that there is a Jewish homeland, and I identify as a Jew, but I definitely don't identify as an Israeli, even after more than 20 years here.

I may feel not-quite-normal in Canada either, but being the Squarepeg misfit that I am, I've never had any psychological need to hold an Israeli passport, and consider it just one more administrative headache that would need to be handled periodically. What for? I have always thought of myself more as a "citizen of the world" and happen to have a perfectly useful Canadian passport that will take me anywhere I need to go; I don't need another passport.

I could have become a citizen at any time, and still can if something changes my outlook, but it just doesn't feel like it's a choice that would reflect anything truer of me than my current status.

The only thing that sets me apart from citizens is the national election. I can't vote. But I also can't say I care that much, since the direction of the country doesn't actually seem to depend on who gets elected. Arik Sharon got elected and turned around and did exactly the opposite of what he promised to do, eventually, and so would Bibi Netanyahu. So I really don't know if it makes any difference. The electorate seems to be doing the best it can without my help.

So does the very liberal-minded day off to vote help? Perhaps. Around 70% of the electorate usually gets out there, but for some reason there's worry that there will be less this year, with so much confusion and fracturing of the main parties. There's more talk of going shopping than ever before. The radio is playing public service announcements by celebrities every few minutes: "Hi, this is Rita [40-something singer/actress]. You have to vote. You simply have to." blabla, democratic process, etc.

Knowing how the populace feels about consumerism, Ms. Squarepeg and I got up early to hit the mall before 10am, while there was still parking. By the time we left at 11:30 there was not a spot to be found, legal or illegal, anywhere in the vast over- or underground lots.

So, voter or not, I'm off now to enjoy my free day with the last third of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Over and out, muggles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home