Friday, March 10

whee, i'm "it"

Thank you, She. I'm flattered by your interest, and since it's a silly questionnaire, I'll play along. I was once tagged with the Book Interrogation which completely intimidated me too much to answer it, but also had some influence on getting me reading again, so there you are.

However, since I'm basically a cheater who plays by her own rules, I may leave out or change some of these questions. Sue me. And I am sorry to say that I haven't been able to keep up with my favorite blogs for the past couple of months, so don't feel right about tagging anyone else. Good thing She tagged several!

Q: WHO'S THE 4TH PERSON ON YOUR RECEIVED CALL LIST?
A: My daughter, ms. squarepeg; I know without even looking because she calls me 99 times a day. When I call her, she's programmed her phone to play (for me) and ring (for her) the Pink Panther theme, which she's currently in love with.

Q: WHATS YOUR MAIN RINGTONE ON YOUR PHONE?
A: Sex and the City. Love that sax.

Q: WHAT WERE YOU D0ING AT MIDNIGHT LAST NIGHT?
A: Reading in bed. I'm in the middle of "The Devil Wears Prada," which I really appreciate now, a year after working for someone exactly like Miranda Priestly (the "Devil" boss of the title). I only tolerated it for a week and am seriously still traumatised by the experience. I find it difficult to comprehend how people choose to stay in such jobs; worse even to contemplate the torture they endure because they desperately need the job. brrrrrr.

MOST RECENT MOVIE THAT YOU WATCHED?
A: Just saw "Syriana" at the cinema this evening. Very confusing; need to see it again on dvd. Saw all five Oscar noms before the big night. (First time that happened. Loved Munich and Capote; Brokeback, not so much; Good Night and Good Luck, interesting but not Oscarworthy; Crash, okay, but Best Movie of the YEAR? gimme a break) Caught "The Aristocrats" on the tube last night, the great documentary that interviews scores of comedians about the most famous in-joke of all time, apparently, which I'd never heard of. Also didn't think it was funny, but I can see how they would all get a kick out of entertaining each other with personalized versions of this joke. It was really fun to watch. Great editing.

Q: What's your favorite town/city?
A: I love all cities, but I think Vancouver was my favorite.

Q:I can't wait to (til)...?
A: the weekend!!!!

Q: When was the last time you saw your mom?
A: August 2004, when I returned to Israel after 2 years back in Toronto, my hometown.

Q: What did you have for dinner LAST NIGHT?
A: Shipud b'lafa. (shishkebob chicken wrapped in a big flat pita)

Q: How long have you been at your current job?
A: 14.3 months, but hopefully not much longer

Q: Who is the last person you spent over $50 on?
A: Mememememememememe. Only me. Ooops, wrong -- it was ms. squarepeg, who nagged and nagged and nagged till I took her to the mall 2 nights ago, and sprung for yet another pair of jeans -- these ones artfully torn at the knees -- some khaki pants, and a few tops. 550 shekels. ka-CHING! But usually it's only me, really.

Q: Whats the last piece of clothing you borrowed from someone?
A: Ew. I never borrow clothes. But ms. squarepeg is now big enough to start wearing mine -- that which has "shrunk" (or has seemed to). I'd never let her borrow anything though, since she throws everything on the floor, inside out, and then walks on it.

Q: What website(s) do you visit the most during the day?
A: Yahoo email and Salon.com.

Q: Do you have an air freshener in your car?
A: Yuck! Hate artificial air perfume. Also, the smell of any cleaning materials, including furniture polish, and can't stand men's cologne or deodorant (unless it's one of the 2 scents I've ever smelled that I love). And I never wear perfume myself. I don't like having other people's scents forced on me any more than I want to breathe second-hand smoke, so I've always assumed that others felt the same way. I was surprised to hear recently that many women always wear perfume. Like daily showers, it was not something I was ever trained to do, and find that life works fine without it.

Q: Do you have plants in your room?
A: I have an African violet in my office that, like all my African violets before this one, has refused to flower since the first flowers died. I looked this up on the internet, and supposedly it's very simple, but it just does not work for me. All suggestions welcome.

Q: Does anything hurt on your body right now?
A: Thank god, no. Knock on wood.

Q: Do you own a camera phone?
A: No, but my daughter does. She's a real little gadget junkie. Gotta have the latest thing!

Q: What's your favorite Starbucks drink?
A: There's no 'bucks in the Holy Land anymore, but we've got lots of clones. I stay away from the sweet drinks. Just a big, strong cappuccino, lukewarm, for me.

Q: Recent time you were really upset?
A: A week ago, when I had words with my boss about the temp guy that works in my room twice a week and spends most of his time on loud phone calls either personal or with other clients. She told me to suck it up because "he delivers" and I made this into a personal insult (typical) with the hidden meaning of "i.e. what he delivers is more important than what you deliver." I had a great deal of angry energy to burn at the gym that evening, and went to a very good job interview the next day (recruiter, actually, not employer). Revenge will be delightful when served cold ... some time in the next couple of months, I can only hope.

Q: Have you been in love with anyone?
A: Ah yes, my drug of choice. The only thing that kills my appetite.

5 Comments:

At 11/3/06 15:40, Blogger squarepeg said...

Whoa! I'm out of the loop, as usual! Brucha haba'a, babe!

I guess you have to be able to grasp that art is not meant to be taken literally. Munich is a thinking person's movie that explores a deep and vast moral gray area. People dealing with the level of survival may naturally have trouble looking past the black-and-white. So perhaps the general distaste for the movie is is a barometer of where the country is still focussed.

 
At 12/3/06 10:41, Blogger Liza said...

I loved "The Devil Wears Prada"! A friend lent it to me a few months ago, saying, "think about 'our old workplace' and 'our old boss' when you read it." Scarily on the mark!

 
At 12/3/06 12:10, Blogger squarepeg said...

Yikes, I'm starting to realize this devil/witch is a type, rather than a complete anomaly -- are they only women, though? I've had any number of bad bosses, but the men are usually "just" pricks and assholes, not quite so insanely irrational as the devil/witches.
Anybody?

 
At 14/3/06 23:28, Blogger samchida said...

Wow, what great questions, but did you delete some , or was I expecting too much.? You always interest me with your attitude.

Women in position, of authority ,always sem to develope an attitude much bigger than they can carry around graciously. More often , they display their hellish behavior towards the women folk, seeking to corral any desire to usurp their leadership. Most cases these women are Bitches rather than witches seeking only to protect their turf.
For men with style and a little kissAss -ability they are more than likely can have a rewarding relationship with these office egomaniacs.

 
At 18/3/06 17:01, Blogger squarepeg said...

Thanks for your perspective, amlicar. And if you have any unique questions to add to the pot, just throw 'em in. I won't answer if I don't wanna. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home